6 beauty hacks to simplify your morning
Posted on August 22 2019
We all know that mornings can be such an 'ugh!' part of the day.
We have to perform our skin care routine, put on some makeup, do our hair, pick our outfit... all before our morning coffee! *cries*
However to look great we just need to follow some simple steps to ensure we look and feel our best. Here are some tips to make your mornings simpler (and longer for you to sleep in!)
1. Exfoliate: Exfoliation is key for glowing skin. You should be exfoliating at least once or twice a week to help your skin look younger, firmer and smooth. Exfoliating removes dead skin cells which in turn revealing healthier, fresher skin.
Not only is exfoliating good to remove dead skin cells, it actually promotes skin cell renewals and a great way to improve blood circulation, giving you a rosy glow!
Another reason to exfoliate? Unclogging your pores! Reduce the appearance of your blackheads and whiteheads with exfoliation ensures a clean and fresh face. Not only will your skin thank you, you will feel more energised and not bogged down with a clogged face!
Try not to: Don’t over-exfoliate! Limit to maximum 3 times a week as over exfoliating may dry up your skin and cause it to be flaky. You want to remove excess oils – not all of them!
Our suggestions: Try a coffee-based face scrub. The caffeine will perk up your skin giving it an energy boost! Not to mention the smell of coffee definitely perks you up first thing in the morning. Another of our favourite is green tea scrub which leaves a really zen-like scent after exfoliating.
2. Tighten Your Pores: Splash your face with cool water after you've washed your face with a cleanser. Cold water causes your blood vessels to constrict, making your skin look more even and firmer. You can also use a pore tightening serum to minimise the look of enlarged pores, giving your skin a fresher, smoother look.
After exfoliating, tightening your pores is key to close them back. After removing whatever dirt there is in your pores, you’ll need to close them to ensure no new ones go in (or make it harder for them do so!)
Try not to: Leave your pores open for too long after exfoliating as this will invite micro-dust particles before you close it!
Our suggestions: Water from tap too warm? Put some ice in a cup with water! Sometimes having a little bit of icy cold water really refreshes you and wakes your skin up and gets it perky and bouncy.
3. Moisturise: Moisturisers provide hydration and essential vitamins and minerals, making it easier for your skin to reflect light and give off a natural glow. Dehydrated skin, on the other hand, can look rough and crackly, grey and dull, so make sure to moisturise day and night!
Moisturisation also ensures your fine lines in your skin are closed with moisture and doesn’t allow it to crack further or peel due to dryness.
Try not to: Put too little nor too much. Too little serves no purpose as not enough will actually dry out your skin more as your skin thirsts for more. Too much will be cause your skin to be oily.
Our suggestions: Make sure to select a moisturiser that is right for your skin type. If your skin is on the drier side, pick a hydrating type. If your skin is leaning towards oily, try a milder type! If you don’t pick the right type of moisturiser for yourself, it can cause breakouts which clogged your pores or feelings of tightness.
If you’re not sure what type to get, visit your local skincare solution provider and they will assist you in selecting the right type of moisturiser for yourself.
4. Groom Your Brows: Your brows have the power to frame your entire face, so as long as you groom them the way you like and that suits your face shape, they can completely enhance your face without makeup and make you look neat. Remove stray hairs to help frame your eyes and give you more defined facial features. But be careful not to over pluck or overdraw them as they can ruin your look and even make you look older than you are
Try not to: Do not use a regular shaver! You will definitely make mistakes and might accidentally shave a large chunk out (which we will totally not wish even on our worse enemy!)
Our suggestions: Try to get them threaded or waxed, but if you must shave them, make sure to use a fine blade and only go in one direction to reduce ingrown hairs and cuts!
Shave your eyebrows right after you shower with warm or hot water as this will soften the hair follicles and open up your pores, allowing fewer razor burns and for a cleaner shave. This will also reduce redness that is caused by the blade on delicate skin that’s around the eye area.
If all these is too much of a hassle, try eyebrow embroidery! The style and shape will last a couple of years!
5. Elongate Your Lashes: When you’re not wearing any heavy makeup, it’s usually best to draw attention to your eyes. Long, lush lashes are a great way to do this, and you can do so with a variety of ways. Curling your lashes really make your eyes *pop*! They can even make your eyes seem bigger and brighter.
Lashes really open up your eyes even without putting on eyeliner or eyeshadow as it brightens your face up. If you have really thick lashes and don’t want to put mascara, you can try to put lash gel which basically hydrates and is like a serum to keep them long, full and healthy
Try not to: Rub your eyes too much. Rubbing causes friction which can damage your lash follicles and cause new ones to grow slowly or not at all. Also do not forget to use a makeup remover to remove any mascara residue. This can cause bacteria build-up and that’s never good news for your lashes!
Also never ever trim your eyelashes if they are not in a balanced length! Lashes take very long to grow, almost up to a few months to reach it’s maximum length!
Our suggestions: If mascara is too much of a hassle for you, try lash extension or a keratin lash lift to look stunning first thing when you wake up in the morning! These treatments lasts from 1 – 2 months depending on how you care for them and are a great way to look more for less effort!
You can also opt for lash serum or a very thin layer of apply castor oil on to your lashes to promote lash thickness and length growth. Just make sure you are not wearing contact lenses while doing so and only if it does not irritate your skin!
6. Massage your under eye dark circles: Use your hand to massage your under eye bags to get rid of puffy eyes. For an even better result, use a facial massager with heat function to trigger your inactive cells under the skin. It will certainly make you look fresher afterwards!
Often times a whole look can be ruined by dark circles, even if your eye makeup and skin is on point. Due to modern time’s busy schedules and lack of sleep, under eye circles are almost inevitable. But we can always try our best to reduce them as much as possible!
Try not to: Use dark blue or brown eyeshadows as this will highlight any dark under eye circles you have.
Our suggestions: Besides the obvious ‘try to sleep 8 hours a day!’ solution, if you're not too into massage, try putting a cooling pack or sliced cucumbers on your eyes to refresh them! The cooling effect will at least tame down the puffiness!
We also love using a refreshing spray face mist. It is water soluble that usually consists of essential oils, aqua, mild fragrance, citrus and caffeine to freshen up your face mid-day without having to wash your face, leaving you refreshed and energised.
These little hacks can at least shorten time spent in the morning getting ready to look fresh, giving you some extra time for precious sleep. It’s a great way to look and feel presentable and comfortable without doing a full makeup routine. (Who has the time, anyway!?)
We all want to look and feel our best every morning when we wake up. It does take some effort to look good and nobody wakes up looking like a glamazon goddess without some form of effort!
However it doesn’t mean we need to slave over for hours in front of the mirror every morning to get ready. A few tips and tricks here and there never hurt anybody ;) We are busy women with the world to conquer!
When we look good, we feel good. When we feel good, we look good, too!