Gel Extensions and Acrylic Tips?
Posted on October 22 2020
Unfortunately, most of us are not gifted with healthy, long, beautiful nails. Ah sounds sad, but it’s true! The reasons for this are many. One of them is either under exposure to moisture or in some cases, overexposure to moisture.According to the AOCD,
- "Dry and brittle nails are the result of too little moisture. They’re most commonly caused by the repeated washing and drying of fingernails.
- On the other hand, soft and brittle nails are caused by too much moisture, often a result of overexposure to detergents, household cleaners, and nail polish remover."
Other reasons for broken and brittle nails are:
- Age: It is definitely a factor with both toenails and fingernails becoming thinner and more brittle
- Iron deficiency: which primarily leads to low red blood cell levels. Best way to solve this is through iron supplementation
- Hypothyroidism: Low thyroid levels lead to multiple issues which could also be abrupt and some of these are hair loss, fatigue, constipation, and depression
In Malaysia, it is specifically common for us for us mothers, career professionals, or busy entrepreneurs. If above health-related problems are not causing your nail issues, there are basic routines you can accomodate in your life to always ensure decent healthy nails. Such as:
- Adding biotin to diet (fish, meat, eggs, nuts, seeds, some vegetables such as sweet potatoes)
- Staying hydrated. This is non-negotiable and essential to keep your body’s regular biological activities intact
- Practice good nail hygiene. Maybe once a week - you can take some time off to clean your nails at home or a salon or an in-home beauty service
- Invest in a quick nail extension by a professional or book manicure service at home. There are two types such as Gel extensions and acrylic tips. Both are widely popular and are pretty common nowadays.
Ever find yourself biting your nails or even trying to break them off given your nails are soft and weak? It happens to the best of us. Call it living in an anxiety-stricken society, all of us are constantly fidgeting and restlessly doing something. Whether that’s nail picking, shaking leg vigorously, or playing with hair. Or the best one - picking our phone and endlessly scrolling.
Not sure about all other restlessness, but when it comes to nails - there’s a workaround we highly recommend. And that’s where we would you like to read further to understand. Gel and Acrylic extensions are two of the most popular types and we are here to objectively help you decide which one to choose. So, next time you want long, beautiful, almond-shaped feminine nails - you know you’re well aware of your options before you book your next beauty appointment with a professional manicurist in Malaysia!
What are nail extensions called?
They are also known as fake nails, faux nails, fashion nails, nail tips. It is basically nail enhancement process primarily using fake nail on top of your natural nails.
Let’s start with Acrylic Nail Extensions:
Acrylic nails are faux or fake nails which are made by combining a liquid acrylic product with a powdered acrylic product. This product is then formed into a soft ball which is bonded onto your original nail increasing the overall look of the nail. Once the product is attached to your nail, it hardens up and becomes stronger.
Acrylic’s primary characteristics are:
- Strong, Sturdy
- High maintenance
How long do acrylic nails last?
Looking at your lifestyle, one can gauge how long acrylic nails last. If you’re one of those people who work a lot with your hands (typing on keyboard etc.), then it is challenging for acrylic nails to stay intact for a long period of time. Generally, these nails should last up to 8 weeks. However during this period, it is essential to get your nails filled in by a professional manicurist - every 2-3 weeks.
How can I make my nail extensions last longer?
Get regular fillings by schedule follow-up appointments, use long-lasting high-quality nail polish and coats, regularly moisturise your nails.
Are acrylic nails safe?
As long as your natural nails are healthy, and you maintain your acrylics properly and ensure you go through regular maintenance, acrylics should be safe. Removing acrylics can be done at home but it’s better to call a professional to help you in order to avoid damage to your natural nails. Also, as your original nails grow underneath your acrylics, there could be room for infection to arise. It is recommended to ensure you check with your nail professional to avoid any permanent damage. Like mentioned earlier, just ensure you get regular housekeeping done for your acrylics every 2-3 weeks and you should be good to go!
Pro tip: Always check if your manicurist doing your nails is sterilizing their nail tools. If you’re uncomfortable, enquire about the tools they’re using.
Removal of acrylics?
Removing acrylics is not as easy as soaking your nails in acetone. These nails are stronger, so requires a bit of nail drilling and hard-work by a certified professional. Also, it’s important to note to take a break every few months to ensure your nails get sometime to breath in between new set of extensions.
Gel Nail Extensions:
Not very different from acrylic nails, but definitely safer and less harmful comparatively. Back in the old days, acrylic was the go-to nail enhancement option used. But now, there’s a safer method.
Gel extensions use hard gel or structure gel and is followed by UV of LED light. The process basically includes adding a coating of the gel and then it is essentially cured under the UV or LED lamp to help seal the extension. This makes it much more stronger and safer compared to acrylics. The process is then followed by regular nail painting and a nail art, if you’re looking for one. This step is the same done in your typical manicure pedicure services at home.
Structure gel is mainly used for those who want nails to last longer but without the hard and heavy exteriors. Whereas, the hard gel is used for the ones who are looking for strong, sturdy exterior.
Gel extensions’ primary characteristics are:
- Glossy, Natural looking
- Safer, healthier
- Last longer
- High maintenance
How long do gel nails last?
Your gel nail extensions can last up to 3-4 weeks depending on your natural nail growth.
Removal of gel extensions?
When it's time to remove your gel extensions, all you have to do is use foil and acetone to soak them off, similar to what you would do with gel polish removal.
However, if you’ve used hard gel, then the removal process will not be straightforward. Due to the sturdiness of the hard gel, be prepared to follow up with your nail professional to go through nail drilling process in order to remove the extensions.
Can I use regular nail polish?
You can basically use any nail polish on your gel extensions without any worry. That's one other advantage of gel nails compared to acrylic tips.
Are gel nail extensions safe?
Yes, safer compared to acrylics. But since it is another form of nail enhancement - anything artificial on our body is not 100% safe. All the safety of your nail extension is at discretion of your regular maintenance as well as natural health of your nails.
Can you get gel extensions on short nails?
Yes, the beauty of gel extensions is - anyone with short to long nails can get it done.
Which nails extensions last the longest?
Acrylic nails last longer than gel nails.
Do nail extensions hurt?
- Depending on the product or gel, there's a possibility to feel some tightening. This can happen more with acrylic than gel. Gel extensions are better incase you're sensitive to such pressures on your nails since gel tends to be lighter.
- Your nail professional maybe over filing, incorrect filing, etc.
- Acrylic hurts first day because the glue that was used might have been of low quality. This causes redness and irritation.
Should your pain and irritation persist, it is best to reach out to your manicurist to get help as soon as possible.
How do I maintain my nail extensions?
- If you're new to nail extensions, start off easy with smaller length and if desired go longer next time
- Maintain your acrylic nail extensions by regularly scheduling filling appointments every 2-3 weeks. For gel extensions, you have full liberty to cutting, shaping, painting your nail extensions at home for as long as you wish
- When it comes to acrylic, let your natural nails grow and avoid getting extensions removed very frequently. This will damage your natural nails and the nail bed underneath
- Protect your nails as much as possible. It may take time getting used to longer nails especially if you're new to it. Give it some time and patience
So, what’s the final verdict? Is Gel Extensions better than acrylic tips? What type of nail extensions are best?
YES! Absolutely. Given how safe, natural and healthier option gel extensions is - it’s no doubt they are a better option.
“What makes gel extensions the superior in this situation is that it’s not only made of gel for long-wear and durability, but it doesn’t require any harsh chemicals. ‘There are plenty of benefits, including no damage to your natural nails, the tips are lightweight, there are no fumes, strong odors, and heavy filing. When my clients remove their gel extensions, their natural nails are longer and stronger,’ Manicurist from NYC adds. When you get acrylic tips, the removal process involves drilling, soaking, and filing. With gel extensions, you remove them by simply soaking your nails in acetone, and the gel tips dissolve. You don’t have to worry about gel extensions preventing you from doing your everyday tasks, either. “The gel tips are pretty strong, so you can do normal daily things without being worried your nail will pop off or lift. I tell my clients try not to touch too much-rubbing alcohol or acetone,” Seney adds, as alcohol and acetone can weaken the gel tip.”
At Effortless here in Malaysia, we provide manicure service at home. Also, our one tip extension last more than 1 month compared to the usual between 2-4 weeks.
It’s a full tip glue on top of original nails using grip base. Not only is it faster and easier for the professional manicurist, it also help customer save more than one hour time compared to traditional type of extensions.
So, what're you waiting for? Book an appointment for nails service immediately with a professional manicurist and flaunt those long nails at your next girls day out!!